
Enterprise Photo
The Clarendon Enterprise - Spreading the word since 1878.
Former Hedley city secretary Kim Gossman has accepted a plea agreement in the 100th Judicial District Court related to misappropriation of city funds in 2022.
According to the terms of the agreement filed last week in the Donley County Clerk’s Office, Gossman, identified in court documents as Kimberly Sims, was placed on three years of deferred adjudication community supervision for the third degree felony of Theft by a Public Servant for an offense that occurred on July 28, 2022.
Gossman must pay a $500 fine and $290 in court costs and restitution to the City of Hedley in the amount of $15,000.
If her probation is adjudicated, Sims faces up to 10 years in prison.
Gossman’s resignation from her position as city secretary was accepted by the Hedley City Council on January 19, 2023, following allegations of misappropriation of funds in 2022 first uncovered by the city’s auditor, city officials said at the time.
She was formally arrested and charged with Theft by a Public Servant on December 5, 2023.
District Attorney Luke Inman, along with Assistant District Attorney Harley Caudle, represented the State of Texas in the case with the honorable Judge Cornell D. Curtis presiding by appointment.
The court met by Zoom on January 9, 2025.
Also in district court, Nicholas Charles Moore accepted a plea agreement for the state jail felony charge of Driving While Intoxicated with a Child Passenger.
Moore was arrested by Donley County Sheriff’s Deputy Marasco on April 25, 2022. Moore was indicted by a Donley County Grand Jury on June 13, 2022.
According to court documents filed last week, Moore received a sentence of two years in the state jail division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice probated to two years of community supervision. He must pay a fine of $2,000, court costs of $390, and restitution of $60. Moore must also have a SCRAM device installed on his vehicle.
Waste Connections discussions continue; City okays road ‘test strip’
Clarendon’s efforts to revitalize downtown may take a giant leap forward following information presented at the City Council meeting last Thursday, January 16.
The work on the 100 block of Kearney Street was completed just over a year ago with improvements in the 200 block expected to begin this year under a new grant followed in about two years by a third round in the 300 block.
However, after opening bids for work on the 200 block of Kearney, the low bid of AAJ Concrete came in at $300,000, which is $200,000 less than the funds available for the project.
City Administrator Brian Barboza said $500,000 was available for the project. Most of that money is grant funds with the city adding a match of $98,000.
Officials with the Panhandle Regional Planning Commission and OJD Engineers told the city council it had two choices – give back $200,000 in grant funds, would score negatively on the city’s next grant application or put additional city funds with the excess grant funds and try to do the 300 block of Kearney at the same time as the 200 block. Barboza said the city would possibly need to put another $150,000 into the project to overmatch and finish the work, but he said the city has the money in its investments.
Aldermen agreed that the city should seize the opportunity to finish downtown revitalization on Kearney Street in this upcoming work. The council voted to accept AAJ Concrete’s bid, and the will solicit another bid for work in the 300 block.
The council also agreed to pursue a Texas Department of Transportation grant that could potentially pay for other sidewalk improve-ments downtown, specifically in front of City Hall and neighboring county-owned buildings on the east side of Sully Street.
In other city business, representatives of Waste Con-nections were present to discuss trash collections in the city. The parties agreed that service is improving but communications can still be improved to help resolve trash pick-up issues. City officials and Waste Connections discussed steps to better quantify missed pick-ups and target efforts to address those issues.
Waste Connections District Controller Joe Landon told the council that contrary to comments made last month, his company does not want to end its relationship with Clarendon.
“We want to continue this relationship,” Landon said. “If you want to go to RFP (requests for proposals) early, we’re fine with that. We just want to be invited to the process.”
The council voted to not take legal action against Waste Connections at this time as they continue to work together. Landon agreed problems in the past have been the fault of the company, but Alderman Eulaine McIntosh noted that it is the council that gets the “brash from the citizens” when pick-ups are missed.
The council approved an easement request for American Electric Power for a new transmission line that will go from Clarendon to Jericho.
Desert Mountain Corporation representative Pamela Tuttle made a presentation about a proposal to rehabilitate Front Street from Jefferson to McClelland. The $14,400 project would use new materials to mix with millings and stabilize the road and control dust while making the road resistant to water.
The council approved the project as a “test strip” with the possibility of using the method on other dirt roads in towns if it is successful.
A request for $1,000 from the Donley County Senior Citizens Center for its meal program was approved.
The council also appointed Mayor Jacob Fangman to a vacant seat on the Clarendon Economic Development Corporation Board.
One week into the sign-up period and only the City of Howardwick has any candidates lined up to run for office this spring.
The cities of Clarendon, Hedley, and Howardwick; the Clarendon and Hedley school districts; and the Donley County Hospital District all have a total of 19 positions available this year.
Howardwick Alderman and Mayor Pro-tem Johnny Floyd has signed up to run for the vacant mayor’s position, while Alderman Jada Murray has filed to run again. Matt Moore has also filed for the other available alderman’s position.
In Clarendon, the full two-year terms of Mayor Jacob Fangman and Aldermen Terri Floyd and Eulaine McIntosh are up this year along with partial terms expiring in one year held by Aldermen Ashlee Estlack and Mandy Smith.
Hedley has three aldermen’s seats up this year. Those are two-year terms and are currently held by Aldermen Larry Ely, Tanya Gibson, and Jennifer Floyd.
Howardwick has the full two-year terms of the mayor and two aldermen up this year. The mayor’s seat is currently vacant, and the aldermen’s positions are held by Johnny Floyd and Jada Murray.
Clarendon ISD Trustees serve three years, and the terms of Robin Ellis, Chuck Robertson, and Donny Howard are expiring this year.
Hedley ISD has two full three-year terms up this year. Those seats are held by Bruce Howard and Michael Metcalf.
The Donley County Hospital District Board of Directors has three two-year terms up this year. Those are currently held by Rose Lemley – Place One, Jeff Robertson – Place Two, and Cindy Shelton – Place Three.
All local boards are elected at-large, but hospital board candidates must file for a specific place on the board. Candidate applications are available from the administrative offices of each entity.
Filing continues through Friday, February 14. Elections are scheduled to be held Saturday, May 3, 2025.
Bingo lovers will win gift cards and enjoy chili and cornbread when the Clarendon Lions Club holds its Valentine’s Bingo Saturday evening, February 15.
The event will start at 5:30 p.m. at the Clarendon Lions Hall, and proceeds will go to help the club improve the kitchen facilities in the building to help better serve the community.
The building that now serves as the Lions Hall was originally moved to Clarendon following World War II after its service ended as a German POW barracks in McLean. The building has served the Lions and the community well for more than 70 years. In addition to the weekly club meetings, the Lions Hall hosts the regional office for The Bridge – Children’s Advocacy Center, has been available for many community events over the years, and is often rented by families and businesses throughout the year.
Tickets for the Valentine’s Bingo are $30 each. Seating is limited so get your seat reserved early by going by the Enterprise or calling 806-662-4689.
By Sandy Anderberg
The Broncos exploded in the second eight minutes of their match up with the Cyclones on the road last week that gave them the confidence they needed to score at will and get the 62-34 district win.
Three Broncos finished in double figures and senior Mason Sims earned another double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds in the game. Kaleb Bolin put in 11 and Kyler Bell came off the bench and finished the game with 10 big points.
After an opening quarter that ended at 11-11, the Broncos got down to business and were able to fire up their offense and put points on the board.
The Cyclones put in eight points, but they couldn’t hang with the Broncos who pumped in 21 points before the break. The Broncos continued to run their offense without flaw in the final eight minutes and depended on their defensive aggressiveness to hold the Cyclones to only seven points in the final minutes on the clock.
Sims added three assists, two steals, and two blocks to his stats and Bolin grabbed five rebounds, six assists, two steals, and on block. Bell had two rebounds, one assist, and one steal along with two three-pointers in the game.
Michael Randall had nine points, five rebounds, three assists, and one steal and Caleb Herbert finished with five points, three rebounds, two steals, and one block. Colton Caudle helped with one three-pointer, nine rebounds, one assist, and one block, and John Weatherton had two points, two rebounds, three assists, two steals, and a block while Tyler Cavanaugh helped with three points.
The Broncos will play Wheeler at home on January 17 and travel to Panhandle on January 20 with both games beginning at 8:00 p.m.
By Sandy Anderberg
The Lady Broncos played solid basketball against the Memphis Lady Cyclones on the road last week defeating them 76-21.
The maroon and white have been putting up huge numbers this season with three pointers coming from all nine members of the team. The ladies were able to connect with eight big shots from the arc against the Lady Cyclones who were not able to stop their offensive attack.
Not only can the Lady Broncos shoot the three-ball, but their shots from the bonus line have been sharp as well. They were able to convert 11 of 15 free shots against Memphis and Gracie Ellis and Tandie Cummins were perfect each going two for two. Kenidee Hayes hit five of six and Berkley Moore finished at 50%.
Defensively, the Lady Broncos are fun to watch as they are aggressive and quick, shutting down anything their opponent tries offensively. They are able to cause turnovers and convert break-aways easily.
Hayes finished in front of the pack with 16 and Moore and Kennadie Cummins turned in 11 apiece. Kate Shaw is deadly inside and put in 10 to finish off those scoring in double figures and Ellis helped with nine. Kashlyn Conkin and Madi Benson put in six points each, T. Cummins had four and Hayden Elam connected from the arc for three.
The Lady Broncos are looking to go deep in the playoffs and a state game is not out of the question. Currently ranked #10 in the state polls, the ladies are as solid as any other team in the rankings. They will play Wheeler at home on January 17 and travel to Quanah January 21.
Reader Comments